Blog Archive

Thursday 22 August 2013

Sun, Sea and . . . . .

a jolly good day out . . . .

This week my Wednesday team decided on a trip down to the cliffs near Dover and we headed for Bockhill, a great place for migrants set high up on the top of the white cliffs to the east of Dover.
Raven

Three Ravens called overhead as we arrived, then butterflies took over with Small Tortoiseshell, Wall (Brown), Large White, Common Blue, Small Copper and Clouded Yellow.  

A group of Whitethroat took our attention for some while as they fed in the safety of the scrub around us. Their contact calls gave their presence away, and we counted about four individuals.   After some time they flew off towards the edge of the cliff in their group.
Wall (Brown) Butterfly

Large numbers of Swallow were flying westwards - presumably feeding along the coast before they make the crossing.   Malcolm, Sally and Irene had views of a Common Redstart, and although I saw the bird on the deck it was some distance away and despite my efforts I could not get the bird in the bins to identify it myself.
Dusky Sallow

Our morning migrant sightings were completed with several Wheatear, a flock of Linnet and some great Whinchat - one of my favourites.

Two day-flying moths were identified as well, Silver Y and Dusky Sallow - thanks to Malcolm for the IDs.

As we took lunch by the beach, a Fulmar flew along the cliff face using the thermals created by the midday sun.

In the afternoon, we moved on to Samphire Hoe - I hadn't been there this year yet.   A Common Buzzard greeted us - soaring along the cliff top disturbing smaller birds below.
Butterfly heaven

We added Marbled White, Gatekeeper, Peacock, Small White and Speckled Bush Cricket to our insect list.

Along the concrete promenade we found a couple of Rock Pipits - feeding along the rough grass above and dropping down to pick morsels from the cracks and crevices.   More Swallow were moving westwards and then I heard the distinctive "chirp" of House Martin.   Looking around I couldn't see where they were, then high up in sky over the sea I spotted a couple of Martins, and the more I looked the more I saw.   Several appeared to disappear onto the cliff face, but whether they landed we could not tell.   Sad to see them on their way back to Africa, but I love migration full stop.

1 comment: