Blog Archive

Friday 2 November 2012

Cobham

Andricus gemmeus
After days of grey skies and rain, today the sun shone and I was a bit annoyed that I had to wait in for a phone call.   Happily that was done by 11 am, so I decided it would be a good idea to go for a walk.   I coerced my Wednesday pals to join me.

The unfortunate thing was that as soon as we started our walk some two hours later - the skies went grey and rain fell down - guess who got the blame!

It wasn't the best of walks, cold and damp (especially after the downpour) but the woods did give us the golden opportunity to share in one of Malcolm's favourite pastimes, Galls!

Andricus gemmeus to be exact.   A rather amazing little gall which attaches itself to oak trees.

Funghi
Several species of Fungi were found, some small and hard to see and others almost as big as dinner plates - we still managed to stumble into them though.

Among the birds we spotted were: Magpie, Crow, Jackdaw, Chaffinch, Blackbird, BlueTit, Long-tailed Tit, Blue Tit and Robin.