Blog Archive

Tuesday 5 March 2019

Ghana 2019 - Day 4

I started out at 4:45 am in an attempt to see the Nkulengu Rail.  With Robert and Issac I felt safe as we walked off the main track into unchartered forest, hardly able to see where to put my feet.    

Robert strode off purposefully in front, I tried to keep up and Issac sauntered along in flip flops - what a strange sight we must have been.
A pair of Nkulengu Rail showing off their best side!

Just as I was enjoying the early morning sounds of the forest coming to life and thinking how wonderful it would be to experience this magic more often, Robert heard a rail call and shot off - not quite so easy or magical now!   

Issac and I did our best to keep up - rather I did my best to slow Issac down, but after many twists and turns though the thick under-storey we were standing right below a rail which had roosted on a high branch overnight.   As the bird continued to call we heard a second, and soon they were together on their branch, making sure that pretty much all we could see were bright red legs and bellies, only occasionally did their wonderful white throats show.  An amazing start to a day!

After a while we left them in peace and returned for breakfast.   Peter and Roger were still not up!   I was on a high and desperate for someone to listen so I told the daughter of one of the staff.   Around two years old and no English so no common language bar signs and smiles I think she got the gist of my delight, or maybe just thought I had totally lost the plot. 

Black Dwarf Hornbill
Breakfast over and we made moth trap and butterfly trap checks before our final walk at Bobiri. 

After an early lunch taken in the veranda we packed our bags and were off to the next destination, and the main purpose of our trip.   

Peter knew the area from university days and wanted to revisit to see the potential of birding, butterflies and natural history in the area.   So off to Manso Nkwanta it was!


We arrived at Holy Prince Hotel in good time and had a couple of hours to relax until dinner whilst Robert and his team got things in place for the next few days - most importantly the food, as there was none served at the hotel and little choice in the nearby town.   Robert had it all arranged in no time and was cooking dinner for us himself, having also managed to check arrangements for tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment