Blog Archive

Tuesday 23 July 2013

Shrike-like Cotinga

I have been coming out to REGUA each year since 2006.   It took me five years to see this enigmatic species and one for which the Reserve has rightly become famous.   It is one of the best places to see the bird - but not when you are either at the back of the group when the bird is seen at the front or vice versa - as was the case for me in 2009!

In 2010 I had one good view, but last year I even managed to find my own on one of the trails behind the wetland, and notched up five excellent viewings.  

This year, we saw an individual within five minutes of getting out of the vehicle on our first forest walk!   You can't ask for better.
Shrike-like Cotinga

As always, I favoured watching the bird rather than reaching for the camera straight away, but I wish I had actually changed my tack this time, as others had far better photographs.

Incidentially, despite several groups going off in search over the next couple of weeks, no-one else has see or indeed heard it - so perhaps it has already started its annual migration to higher altitudes.

1 comment:

  1. Camera, or bins, camera or bins - that is the question! Nothing wrong with that shot Sue and you showed your true colours, being a birder first and keen to get it etched into the grey matter! Look forward to a catch up at the Bird Fair, so long as it does not all kick off in the meantime! Taaaa-jiinnnne

    ReplyDelete