Blog Archive

Friday 4 January 2013

Waxwings

Having been away for two weeks I had work to do at home, but a telephone call from Malcolm brought me to my senses and I was soon grabbing my bins and camera and dashing out of the house.

Waxwings
Within minutes Irene was screeching to a halt outside and within seconds we were off in search of our quarry. . . . . . . . Waxwings!

There in my local park, not 10 minutes from home were a group of around 40 of these beautiful birds.   Sally had been keeping an eye on them to make sure they didn't fly off unseen.   The group were perched in slender saplings next to a busy dog-walking path with four-legged beasts chasing around below them and children running and screeching.   Luckily most folk were totally unaware of their presence and the birds were dropping to the ground, feeding on berries and fruit, then returning to the safety of their high perches.

Fantastic to see, and I soon had the telescope set up.   Once the four of us had enjoyed good views (and I had taken some photographs) we started to show them to passers-by.