Blog Archive

Sunday 7 August 2011

Arctic Adventure - Post script

Our journey
So, enduring thoughts of the trip?

Firstly, the lack of trees.   Nothing had prepared me for the lack of any sort of vegetation with height.   Not a bush or shrub, just lots of very low-lying minute plants.

Second; I really had not thought about the ice!   Silly I know, when you are going to the arctic, but I hadn't considered what it would be like to look across a sea of ice and see nothing else for miles.   The absolute fascination of watching the ship rip the icebergs apart and the ensuing domino effect as the water moves further bergs, the fish are disturbed and the birds come in for the fish - absolutely amazing and totally mesmerising - a great way to while the hours away.

Third; although I loved the polar bears, the walrus were the real hits of the trip for me.  They are huge, and fat and blubbery, but they are soooo cute, their faces are like large spaniels and their little nostrils just seem to accentuate their gorgeous faces.  The way that they interact makes me want to be a walrus!

Fourth; what can I say about our crew and expedition leaders?   Well apart from a huge thank you, it's hard to know where to stop heaping the compliments.  The way that they catered for our every need, and changed the itinerary depending on the weather, and interference of polar bears was seamless.   Enthusiastic, keen to help and impart their knowledge, nothing was too much trouble for all those involved.

Fifth, by no means the least important, a thank you to John, Jenny and Phil without whom I wouldn't have been asked to join the trip.

I write this just a couple of days after a young man has been killed by a polar bear in one of the areas we visited.   It just makes me realise how lucky we were to have the opportunity to see so many of these amazing wild creatures, but to do it in the complete safety of the boat, and with the care of our guides.  
Sad that the bear had to be killed, my thoughts are with all those concerned

The Antarctic Dream
 .

No comments:

Post a Comment